Newspaper Archive of
Cheney Free Press
Cheney , Washington
Lyft
September 23, 1982     Cheney Free Press
PAGE 26     (26 of 38 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 26     (26 of 38 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
September 23, 1982
 

Newspaper Archive of Cheney Free Press produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




From normal sch g Cont. from page 11 All records, the library and related materials are lost. 1913-The legislature over- rides Governor Lester's veto of the Normal School Appro- priations bill and planning goes ahead for a new admini- stration building today's Showalter Hall. 1914--Principal Showalter's title is changed to "Presi- dent.,' 1915-With the opening of fall term, the first student government group is organ- ized. 1916-Monroe Hall, the first dormitory, opens. The State Normal School Journal, the first student newspaper, be- gins publication. 1917-Major legislation now requires high school gradua- tion for admission to the state's Normal Schools and adds extension courses. 1918--Academic year switches to the quarter sys- tem. First three-year diplo- ma is awarded to Anna Quig- ley. 1919-Work begins on the second dormitory facility, Senior Hall, which will open the following year. The 1920s 1920--The campus has now grown to 20 acres, residents of Senior and Monroe Halls are paying $6.00 a week room and board. 1921-The Normal School's first four-year diploma is awarded to Hazel Tormey. 1922-A survey shows there is now a need for a men's dorm; work starts on Sutton Hall. 1923--Largely financed by penny and dime donations, the giant Kimbal organ is dedicated. It still can be heard today, in the auditor- ium of Showalter Hall. 1924-The Associated Stu- dents, tracing its beginnings back nearly a decade, writes and adopts a new constitu- tion. 1925-Authority for the Nor- Benjamin P. Cheney mal Schools to grant degrees is vetoed by Governor Hart- ley. 1926-Noah Showalter re- signs as president; Richard T. Hargreaves inaugurated. There is still no tuition, but various fees are charged. 1927-Room and board fees now average $26.50 a month. The Normal dedicates a new athletic field at a cost of $5,000. 1928-.Amid much specula- tion, plans are made and an architect employed to design a dining commons for the campus, taking food service out of the dorms. While trust- ees were prepared to issue a quarter-million in bonds for the effort, no construction was ever started. 1929--The President's House is completed on cam- pus. Cost: $20,000. The 1930s 1930--W.B. "Red" Reese makes coaching debut at Che- ney Normal, launching 34 year career. 1931-As the Normal contin- ued to realign departments and divisions and modify course offerings to meet the needs of students and the community, the Division of Biology became a separate entity at the school. 1932-The Depression didn't spare Cbeney or the Normal; faculty and staff salary cuts ranged from five to 10 per- cent. 1933--The legislature passed and Governor Clar- ence Martin, a Cheney native, signed a bill allowing the state's Normal Schools to grant bachelor's degrees. 1934--The Normal is accred- ited by the American Associa- tion of Teacher Colleges as a four-year teacher's college. 1935--Planning was started for construction of a new Training School (now Martin Hall). 1936-Even with the Depres- sion, there were still jobs for versatile teachers. The Placement Office of the Nor- mal was finding about 500 positions a year. 1937--Governor Martin signs legislation changing the school's name to Eastern Washington College of Educa- tion. 1938--With $123,477 from the Public Works Administration (PWA), the College pur- chases land and begins plans for a new library (Har- greaves Hall). 1939--Ralph E. Tieje is named President of the Col- lege following the death of Richard Hargreaves. The 1940s 1940-The Training School Building - completed in 1908 - was demolished after having been declared a fire hazard. The building had been used for offices and storage since the completion of Martin Hall - located across the street. 1941-Enrollment of male students begins a sharp de- cline, as the United States enters WWII. 1942-Both the departments of political science and socio- logy are formed with the beginning of fall quarter. 1943-Football is discontin- ued for the duration of the Field trip Professor Albert Kertsch end class on a botany field tdp near today's Turnbull Wildlife Refuge. Photo circa 1915. Fieldhouse fire war. The campus now covers 40 acres. 1944--Academic program changes and modifications continue, with librarianship now under the Division of Languages and Literature and the English Department adding a philosophy pro- gram. 1945-EWCE obtains a num- ber of trailers to house mar- ried ex-GIs and their families Three major fires 1891, followed bY Fieldhouse. The Naval Station as many men pus under Bill. near the site of anka CommonS. are in residence. 1946-Football sumes in the influx of studentS college and buildings-are campus. They son Hall, Football Varsity football, as it