Newspaper Archive of
Cheney Free Press
Cheney , Washington
Lyft
September 23, 1982     Cheney Free Press
PAGE 27     (27 of 38 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 27     (27 of 38 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
September 23, 1982
 

Newspaper Archive of Cheney Free Press produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




September 23, 1982 ional university Academy Building went up in flames in In 1977, as pictured above, fire destroyed the moved to the campus in 1947 from Farrsgut All frame and moved to campus, is Were re- dedicated. Enrollment is just building under 1,400. 1949-Site for the Student Union Building (Isle Hall) is as the purchased. Rowles Hall !tions the (Music and now Dental Hy- out- giene) is completed. education. The 1950s m Educa- 1950--Physical Education Chairman Arthur C. Wood- ob- ward dies after serving the Normal and EWCE since 1927. The football stadium is named in his honor. President Truman visits the campus. 1951--The "Journal" ceases publication and is replaced by The Easterner. ROTC unit established on campus. The new women's dormitory (An- derson Hall), opens. 1952--Department of Chem- istry created. 1953--The "Reese Affair" explodes over the campus. The Board of Trustees event- ually dismiss 16 faculty in the controversy, which followed Athletic Director "Red" Reese's pursuit of a master's degree. 1954--Dr. Donald Patterson becomes president. Enroll- ment is now 900. 1955--Construction begins on the new student union building, Isle Hall. Enroll- ment climbs to 1,233. 1956--Cadet Hall, the ROTC building, is completed and put into service. 1957--Married Student court constructed; cost is $230,000. 1958-Work starts on build- ing for Laboratory School functions; cost is $400,000. 1959--The basic fee at EWCE jumps to $45 per quar- ter. The 1960s 1960-The Tawanka service club becomes a chapter of "Spurs", a national women's sophomore service organiza- tion. Harold Balaz's contro- versial statue of Sacajawea is installed in the Showalter main floor rotunda. 1961-EWCE becomes East- ern Washington State Col- lege, tuition fees are begun; $67.50 per quarter for resident students. 1962-The Hall of Sciences is dedicated. Construction be- gins on Pearce Hall. 1963--National fraternal organizations are authorized as the short-lived "Greek Row" comes to campus. M.A. and M.S. degrees are author- ized. 1964--The first wing of Taw-- oo | L mINa, o.wNom D. H. Fletcher First Principal anka Commons opens. Ambi- tious building plans include proposals to build Dryden Hall, Pence Union Building, Kennedy Library, Streeter Hall. Hudson and Garry Halls are demolished. 1965--The campus totals 114 acres. Tuition for resident students is now $88 per quar- ter. 1966--Dressier Hall opens and plans for construction of Patterson Hall are an- nounced. 1967-President Patterson retires and Emerson Shuck is named president. Kennedy Library opens. 1968--Bachelor of Science in Nursing authorized. Monroe Hall, opened in 1915, ceases operation as a dormitory and becomes office and class- room space. 1969--Construction starts on the Music Building, first part of the Creative Arts complex. The 1970s 1970-ConstrucUon is com- pleted, or is well underway, on: first building of the HPERA complex, Pence Union Building, Morrison Hall, Patterson Hall, Speech Building, Surbeck Services E WU Supp/ement Page 13 Y f2t\\;,::: 100 Building. Bachelor of Science - in Dental Hygiene degree authorized. 1971-Kingston Hall is com- pleted; houses the School of Business. The_Art, Radio- Television, Theatre building and Patterson Hall are com- pleted. 1972--Sutton and Senior Halls are closed as dormitor- ies. The "College-School" organization of the campuses academic units is completed. 1973--ROTC program goes coed. "Savages" dropped as EWSC mascot. 1974--Work begins on third phase of the HPERA com- plex. "Eagles" adopted as EWSC mascot. 1975--Work completed on Special Events Pavilion (Reese Court). 'rlrnbull La- boratory for Ez, lronmental Studies completed. 1976--Emerson Shuck re- signs as president 1977--EWSC bet, 'es East- ern Washington :versity. H. George F :,-ickson named presiden! Thorpe Fieldhouse comp ed. The "old" fieldhol!- -, .,urns to the round in a s ...... .acular fire. 1978--Scho! of Public Affairs orpnized. 1979--R, ,1 center for Continuin: t:ducation estab- lished. Red Barn remodeled to house visitor's center and Campus Safety. The 1980s 1980--Mt. St. Helens erupts, spreading a trail of volcanic ash across the inland North- west and forcing the one- week closure of EWU. 1981-Martin Hall is closed for remodeling; to be re- opened as the home of the Psychology Department in 1982. 1982-EWU celebrates its centennial. Former President Gerald Ford delivers Foun- der's Day address. Former United Nations Secretary- General Kurt Waldheim de- livers Centennial Commence- ment address. flald is near today's Kennedy Library. Normal 2. Housing Hudson Hall was an answer to the post-WWII student boom on campus. The men's dorm, later expanded to Include Garry Hall, was situated in what now Is the central mall area. This photo was taken from the area now holding the Pence Union Building.